2014/ On the Shoulders Of Giants - Emacs for the Curious
With the need for flexible editors to handle the variety of programming languages we face regularly, the Emacs community is experiencing another renaissance. Let’s get you started with Emacs and I’ll show you how to become proficient quickly.
Speaker: Howard Abrams
Return to this session's details
Contributed notesSlides and Audio recording (recorded after the show)
Slides Only: Download ... Hrm...large PDF of screen captures...
Links mentioned in the Talk:
- Why Learn Emacs?
- My Getting Started Guide
- Start with Aquamacs, a Mac-ish Emacs version
- Install Prelude for good IDE support
- Mastering Emacs may take Ten Years
- KeyRemap4MacBook to gain a new Control key
- Online Emacs Tutorials
- Check out org-mode
- Mastering the Emacs Shell
- Magit is very nice
- multiple cursors
- Emmet for quickly writing HTML]
After the talk, many people asked about the minor modes and customizations. All my customizations are online at http://github.com/howardabrams/dot-files and a few of my minor modes are:
- power-line for the cool looking mode line
- org-tree-slide mode for converting an org mode file into a presentation
- cider for the interface to Clojure
Sorry for going so fast. There is way too much stuff to cover in just 45 minutes. Let me know if I can help get you started.