2012/Foursquare is down!
Open Source Bridge Barcamp: IndieWeb Checkins AKA "Foursquare is down"
- 2012-181 (2012-06-29) 11:15am Room B202/203, Eliot Center, Portland, Oregon 
- notes from: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/osb12-checkins
- Tantek Çelik - http://tantek.com - @t
- Ezra Gorman - Google
- M. Edward Borasky - @znmeb
- Dawn Foster
- Don Park - http://donpark.org - @donpdonp
- Tsan-Kuang (TK) @tkleepsu
- Cesar Pinera - Intel
What are the use-cases for checkins? Why do you checkin?
- Social - doing things with friends
- Serendipitous meeting up
- Just-in-time planning (e.g. extension of last minute cell phone / texting planning)
- I'm tracking myself, checking in, not necessarily uploading it all in realtime. Building a behavioral model of myself. Like QuantifiedSelf. Doesn't have to happen in realtime.
- Collective Intelligence
- Rewards / awards / discounts
- Play / points / badges / Pacmanhattan
Which of these still work when "___" (aggregator services / silos) are down?
- quantified self
Some of these may be in conflict
- Check in looking for an extra shot in your machiatto during your Super Important VC Meeting and your friend comes looking to hang out.
- Note: Starbucks on 11th & Couch has a "free shot" offer on check-in!
Private Check-ins: (Foursquare "off the grid" checkins)
- just tracking yourself, don't want to broadcast
- default private? ("But then you won't get funding!" https://twitter.com/tilgovi/status/218773360514052096)
(or selectable default setting) Peer to peer checkins
- check-in to your indie web site - then directly peer-to-peer ping the website of the venue that you're at in order to get rewards with them.
How can you have an independent check-in system that still functions for the commercial rewards use case?
- Starbucks.com <link rel="checkin" ....>?????
- MAC address verification via store/place wifi network?
- Might incentivize new hotspots!
Business Incentives For Check-Ins rewards
- Customer loyalty - customer return incentive
- Broadcasting - telling all your friends you're at Starbucks
- Customer tracking data - how often you purchase, when (hour / dotw)
Need to lookup Vibrant Data movement
PHP script that runs on your own box, talks to Foursquare
Group Specific Checkins
Foursquare: explicit friends list
- privacy issues:
- public mayorships - sufficient to stop using
Google Latitude: circle-specific checkins Yelp Checkins:
- incentive - free stuff (for Yelp Elite - VIP treatment)
- temporary groups / event specific groups
- OSBridge folks - let them track you for a week - or while you're at the conference (city)
- social permission in general
IndieWeb - how do your friends get notified of your group-specific checkins?
Disclose granularity Google launches Coordinate for tracking field crews http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228367/New_Google_mapping_service_helps_organizations_manage_field_crews
E.g. https://twitter.com/search/realtime/4sq.com Easy indieweb solution - post publicly on your site, syndicate to Twitter etc.
How do you delete
How do you delete information? Twitter TOS for clients to respect delete requests Is there a tombstone/deletion entry for Atom? Do any Atom consumers support that? Assume you can't delete information