Your Shell History In The Cloud*
Use Google App Engine to harness a lifetime of shell history from any computer with tagging, searching and annotations.
A presentation about Shellsink: a simple, open source hack that stores your shell history in Google’s big table. The presentation will cover Shellsink usage, the App Engine implementation, as well as using Launchpad’s personal package archives for distribution via apt-get.
Shellsink Feature Set:
- Permanent and unlimited storage of shell history
- Pull commands back out of the sink and into your shell based on a tag or keyword
- Searchable shell history
- Tagable shell history
- Annotateable shell history
- Aggregate shell history from multiple computers into one grand unified history
- RSS feed of your shell history that you can filter
Josh Cronemeyer is a developer working at ThoughtWorks. His interests include pair programming, TDD, and weekend size projects (like shellsink!). Active in the Chicago Ruby and (more recently) Python communities, he does useful things with his spare time like brewing beer and baking bread.