The Naive Developer's Guide to Venture Capital*
What you need to know before you even think about raising venture or angel capital, presented by a Silicon Valley founder who raised $9m from top tier firms.
Brutally frank whirlwind overview of the venture process, including:
- The basic steps of the dance
- The two and a half people you need to know in Silicon Valley
- The three big mistakes that instantly mark you as a n00b
- What a founding team looks like
- If you need a pitch deck, you’ve already lost
- The poorly-understood long-term consequences of angel money
- What FOSS-based businesses should NEVER get funded
- The single most important term to negotiate (not what you think!)
- Sound like a founder: a glossary of VC-related terms to throw around
You wouldn’t dream of hacking on software without understanding roughly how it works… arm yourself with an overview of how the VC system works before you need it.
Joyce has been a web developer and a member of the PHP and DHTML communities for 10+ years. She was most recently the co-founder and CTO of a venture-backed startup called Renkoo. She is also the co-founder of 106 Miles, a networking group for Silicon Valley entrepreneurial engineers.